Nigeria is 60

 I pledge to Nigeria my country

(I make this oath and I'll abide by it)

To be faithful, loyal and honest

(Not to be described as a man scum in relation to the nation)

To serve Nigeria with all my strength

(With all that I have)

To defend her unity

( Not to split her up)

And uphold her honor and glory

( Not make her a disgrace like (coughs) Hushpuppi)

So help me God. Amen.

(Cause I can't do this alone)


Exactly 10 years ago, Abuja was bombed for the first time and unfortunately, it wasn't the last time cause there was a second and a third and I stopped counting. The former President Ebele Jonathan was blamed for his incompetence and other things like that. Maybe it's because his campaign song was : "I go be your scape goat for real if you make me succeed..." And he was and still is the scape goat for all of Nigeria's problems. 


Something happened in my secondary school when I was in SS2. We had two sections. I was in one while my brother was in another. It was just after the Nyanya bomb blast. During classes we heard a bang. It wasn't so loud so we thought the sound came from far away. But I could bet that we were all scared. 


At the close of school, my brother whose section was closer to the source of the sound had a story about it to tell. Apparently, a transformer blew. When a teacher heard it, he flew out the window. As my brother was narrating this story we were all laughing. Thinking about that teacher now, I guess he was the only one whose fear made him active. 


Another day, I was on the Kubwa Expressway at 7pm thereabout  and all of a sudden a bright blue light shone. I looked for the source and realized it was close to my area. I'm telling you that our transformer blew. It was a beautiful sight for me till I realized that before we would have light again only God knows.


The next day in the evening around 4'o clock we had light. I was shocked. Then I remembered that we had powers that be living in surrounding areas. So they helped us work it out.


Today, Nigeria is 60 years old and whether it's yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy or nayyyyy for you I must say that we've come far. Not far enough cause obviously there is still so much more to be done and Nigeria looks like she could crash anytime soon. But, I believe that whatever has being holding us together will continue to.

Comments

  1. My transformer blew while it was raining. Just saw a purple illumination, it was a sight to behold till it dawned on me my phone was about to die. Happy independence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂😂. So sorry this is late but then we're all in Nigeria together it's just that some people's version of Nigeria sounds like somewhere else

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts