The Seventh Day of Christmas; Seven Swams are swimming

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

Whenever I sang the Carol I've never really paid attention to the lyrics or what they could symbolise, I just wanted to sing "fiiiiveeee gold rings." Hilarious, at least I think it is.

However, recently I had the opportunity of actually understanding this song, in a deeper and more beautiful context. Like the seven swans a-swimming.

Swans are closely related to geese and ducks, and they're known as graceful creatures that slide majestically on the water when swimming. No waterfowl moves as fast as them and I thought that was really impressive.

What really got me though, is what they symbolise. A swan has often been seen as a symbol of wisdom and includes awakening the power of self, balance, grace, inner beauty, innocence, self-esteem, seeing into the future, understanding spiritual, evolution, developing intuitive abilities, grace in dealing with others and commitment.

It had me thinking. Seven swans. Like the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. These gifts were manifest in Jesus Christ but can also be found in all Christians who are under grace.

Isaiah 11:2-3 lists these gifts which are: wisdom, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, understanding, piety and fear of the Lord. It is through these seven gifts, that we grow in holiness and are continually reminded of God’s loving presence within us and around us. Like a Swan, we come into the divine power that has been given to us as joint heirs with Christ.

So when next you sing the line "seven swans a-swimming," think of the gifts of the Spirit just flowing and swimming free in your heart.

Merry Christmas from Adesola Ojifinni. ⭐🎄

Comments

Popular Posts