The Third Day of Christmas

On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, three french hens. Halt!. Our three French hens are none other than Faith, Hope, and Love. The greatest of these is Love maybe it's because God is love. But then let's still see them abi?

Faith!

I watched with fascination as a mother muttered words to her trembling son whose turn drew nearer to see Santa. The boy was not reassured by the thought of sitting in the laps of a man whose face he couldn't seem to see, and whose costume, quite frankly, does little to comfort anybody. I was certain that if his mother wasn't by his side, the boy would have fled the room not once looking back, but here he was, against every rational bone in his body, moving towards the man whose laughter was, I must admit, frightening. 

It was faith in the presence and words of his mother that kept the boy going, and like a flash of light, I realized that the one who Christmas is all about asks that we possess such faith in him and his words. He gives an invitation to trust him and keep going as we face far scarier things than Santa. 

Faith is what made the Hebrew boys tell King Nebuchadnezzar; " King, we are not careful to answer you in this matter". Faith is what inspired Job to say; Blessed be the Lord for He gives and He takes away. Faith is what makes me believe that Bad as e bad, God is good. Faith is what makes me understand that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

FACT OF THE DAY: The traditional colors of Christmas shed light on the personality of Christ. Red signifies His Blood. Green signifies rebirth as seen in the Resurrection. Gold shows us His status as King.


Hope!

Christmas is my favorite time of the year because somehow it makes me believe in magic. How else do you explain the feeling of hope, beauty, and joy that seems to pervade the air, no matter how bad the year had seemed to be going. 2020 has been quite the year, an extremely terrifying and exhilarating rollercoaster for many, and yet as the season rolls in, a renewed sense of hope seems to fill the world. It is almost as though a spell has been cast.

I think the reason for this is because the season is about Jesus; and throughout history, nobody else inspires hope quite like Jesus Christ. A virgin birth speaks of the possibility of the impossible- Hope. A life filled with miracles and love inspires above all- Hope in the triumph of good. And most spectacular of all, an empty tomb and a resurrected lord screams hope; Hope that even in death there can be a victory. A culture and person that says "death is not the end" has inspired hope like no other. 

I guess what I love most is that He is called Living Hope. I mean just how can you get your mind around the fact that this man died and brought himself to life. Because of Him, I understand that nothing is too bad. Even death. He triumphed over it so what should I be scared of?

Therefore, no matter how bad, draining, or sad the year has gone for the world. A message about Jesus and a season to celebrate him is an invitation to Hope yet again. 

Love!

My favorite part of the Christmas season is the carols. Oh, how I love carols. I attend several carol services just to hear some of the best composed songs of all time. I must admit to a little anxiety whenever it was time for any choir to do the Halleluiah Chorus since there are only two ways to do that song – Perfectly or Horribly. There are no middle grounds. 

I was to attend one such some Christmases ago with a friend who loves music and carols far more than I do, being quite the singer herself (I sing also, and quite well, despite how everybody else seems to think otherwise. They all don't know good music!). Two hours to carol time, she called and said she wouldn't be able to go. Her younger sister wasn't feeling too well, and although everybody else was at home, the cute little girl wanted her big sister with her. My friend decided to stay with her and forfeit the carol even though her baby sister was already asleep and her parents assured her that she could go. 

As I walked alone to the carol later that evening, I realized that such sacrificial love shown by my friend was precisely the kind of love that brought Jesus to us in the first place. It is the kind of love that he invites us to have for others. It is the kind of love that could change our world – A selfless love. 

I'm remembering the words of the Apostle Paul when he said;  I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.

Have faith, keep hope alive, love selflessly, that is what the celebrant says to us on the third day of Christmas. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts