Birth

Do you remember when you were born ? I don't mean born again o. I'm talking about the time your mother gave life to you. So do you remember ? No. I'm sure that's your answer cause if your answer is yes, you sure do have a lot to explain.

Well, I'm thinking or rather I thought (it feels weird making this sound like the past because right now it's what I'm thinking of but when you're reading it it will be past already) that beginning my blog with the beginning of life is a really good idea. Thus you already know what to expect.

Childbirth, to me is one of the most amazing things about life. Yesterday (not your yesterday but mine as of now when I was typing this) I was listening to the radio and a woman was being interviewed. She said she carried a pregnancy for 7 years. Actually, I was beginning to doubt it but thankfully my aunt is a medical doctor and she explained in details as to how impossible the story is. First of, the umbilical cord can not support a baby for that long. In fact, if a baby stays in the womb for ten months, the baby's skin starts to peel off. Secondly she was asked if she went for a scan and she said yes but the baby wasn't seen. Then the concept of ultrasound was explained. Ultrasound doesn't produce images rather it is the amplification of the child's heartbeat. The sound of life. So there you have it.( I didn't know this was ultrasound was aboutđŸ€).

I remember reading a book that had a few collection of the sayings of Fashola(Former Governor of Lagos State and Present Minister of Works and Housing)  and he said that the vessels that bring us life must not die also. Something along those lines sha. Point is, the women who brought forth children should not die in the attempt of giving birth.

Maternal Mortality is an issue that was addressed in the SDG. Sad truth is, it's still an issue even in the United States. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the series The Resident. An episode was aired titled; If not now, when ? It was telling the story of a woman who died during childbirth. Her husband told his story and that episode was made. I don't know if everyone is like me but when I see scenes like that I can't stop the tears. If the mother of a child is not alive to perform her function who will be the child's mother ? I get it sometimes when these children are raised by someone else but truth be told their mother is not that person. I think the word mother means one who brought life into a person.

I read a book recently telling me the rigors a woman has to go through if she can't conceive without medical aid and honestly, it can become distressing. The joy on the other hand as a result of experiencing another life bloom inside of you as compared to the distress is so great it can make you forget the stress. 
 
So I think it's time I conclude this so as to avoid me derailing. Someone once said it takes nine month to birth a child and just a moment to die. So since you're only born once and you only live once because you only die once why not live. Live life. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts